Friday, July 18, 2008

Pandora - Not FM, not AM and not XM

I have tons of music on the tunes server at work (about 250gb) and a subset of my favorites sitting on an iPod classic (160gb) in my car. A friend at work turned me onto a site called Pandora. What they do is create a custom playlist of music based off of a starter album, artist or song. So for instance type in Van Halen and they'll create an endless playlist of music including Van Halen and other bands/genres that sound like them. The music is streamed from their servers to you.

I've been listenting to the service on a new iPhone app called Pandora Radio for the better part of the morning. I am blown away by how good this server can match the mood of whatever sound i'm into at the time. The service and appliations costs nothing and are completely ad-free. I dont know how they make money or how exactly they do it (music genome project i believe) but it's very cool. Give it a shot.

No comments: